Latest news

$100,000.00 Reward Offered

KSAT 12 video 11/14/09:

Jennifer Dodd, KSAT 12 News Reporter

SAN ANTONIO – Nonnie Dotson disappeared Nov. 19, 2006.  Dotson, who was visiting her older brother in Jefferson County Colo., went out supposedly to meet some friends.  “She just called down to him in the basement and said, Savannah is down from her nap.  I’ll see you later. ” said Candice Doyle, Nonnie’s mother.

Nonnie, who had been prescribed eye drops she was supposed to use nightly, left them behind along with other belongings she may have needed for an extended stay, leading her mother to believe she had no intentions of staying away.

“There’s no way my daughter would have left her daughter, and there’s no way my daughter would have put me through what I’ve been through the last three years, ” Doyle said.  With the three year anniversary of Nonnie’s disappearance a week away and no leads in the case, Doyle and Dotson’s stepfather, Kevin Doyle, are hoping to heat up the cold case by offering a $100,000 dollar reward.  The money was acquired with proceeds from a home sale.  The Doyles said that Nonnie’s 4-year-old daughter sometimes forgets who her mother is.  “I tell her that’s why we have the pictures out, so she can remember her mom, ” Doyle said.  “We need to have some answers for Savannah.”

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Nonnie Dotson is urged to call the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Tipline at 303-271-5599.

Posted by Nancy Grace’s Cold Cases 3/9/2009


Posted by Beau Dotson 2/24/2009

Edward Vehle is in the process of appealing the custody case.  He seems to think he’s going be able to take Savannah away from us.  Savannah needs all the love she can get.  Why would any father want to take that away from her?

Recent pictures of Savannah have been posted.

Posted by Beau Dotson 6/14/2008

Sorry I haven’t been able to post as often as I would like. I’m currently deployed to Kabul, Afghanistan and the military has since blocked this site due to blog related material. Now the only way I can update the site is when websense is down, which doesn’t happen that often.

On a positive note the judge dropped the child support case against us.
We still have to pay Mr. Vehle court costs but I doubt he will ever get the full amount considering his age.

It seems Savannah is adjusting to the change better then expected.  She’s always a delight when she’s around her grandparents.  Usually puts up a fuss when she has to return to kids exchange for Mr. Vehle pickup.  Mr. Vehle doesn’t want to interact with the Dotson family so Savannah has to be dropped off at an exchange thirty minutes prior to his arrival.

There haven’t been any new leads in the case.  To be honest at this point I just want to find her so that we can give her a proper burial.

Thank you everyone for your continued support.

Posted by Beau Dotson 3/14/2008

I’ve tried to keep all posting impersonal as possible but I am at the point where I can’t.
The latest decision from the judge has made me extremely angry.
Peter Sakai of the 225th District Court decided to give Edward Vehle primary care of Savannah.  Which means Ed will benefit from my sister death.

When the Air Force decides to classify my sister as deceased he will gain access to her life insurance, social security, bank accounts, and any property she currently has. Not only that but he will receive 50 % of her pay from the Air Force until Savannah turns 18.
Peter Sakai also decided our family should pay all of Edward Vehle lawyer fees which total $175,000.00. On top of this ridiculous decision my mother will have to pay 20% child support to Edward.  We did receive 42% grandparents rights but why would grandparents have to pay child support when he’s the executive to Nonnie estate?!?
Our family is planning on appealing but when will it ever end!

From day one Edward hasn’t wanted Savannah and everything he has done has been out of spite because of our actions when Nonnie went missing.  The best interest for Savannah should be the number one priority and it’s unfortunate Edward doesn’t think the same way.

Web Posted: 01/18/2008 01:59 AM CST

Father to get custody of little Savannah
Brian Chasnoff and Nancy Martinez
Her mother lost without a trace, a 2-year-old girl will be placed with her father after more than a year of living with her maternal grandparents, a jury decided on Thursday.
The ruling devastated Candice and Kevin Doyle, whose lives were upended in 2006 when their daughter, Nonnie Dotson, vanished while visiting relatives in Littleton, Colo. The Doyles abandoned their jobs and a home in California to move here and care for Savannah Dotson, Nonnie’s daughter.
The jurors’ unanimous decision left the grandparents virtually in shock.
“I’m so sad,” Candice Doyle said, sobbing.
Edward Vehle, the father, declined to comment, turning his back to reporters as he waited for the doors of a courthouse elevator to close.
The jury of eight women and four men took more than nine hours to ponder the fate of the little girl, who spent little time with her father before her mother disappeared. Judge Peter Sakai of the 225th District Court now will craft a visitation schedule for Candice Doyle, who likely will retain certain rights in caring for Savannah.
“It allows Candice to maintain a significant role in Savannah’s life,” said her attorney, H.E. Mendez.
Lawyers had sparred over the issue of which outcome would be in the best interest of Savannah.
James Bass, Vehle’s attorney, had argued that Vehle was entitled to custody of his daughter because evidence didn’t show he was an unfit father or that he’d been involved in Nonnie’s disappearance.
But Mendez suggested that Savannah would suffer another shock in leaving her grandparents’ home, arguing that Vehle had been dismissive of his daughter upon her birth.
“It was a very tough decision,” said John Watts Nieto, the presiding juror. “We got the sense that there was a transformation (in Vehle) toward his responsibilities as a father.”
Vehle testified at the trial that Nonnie Dotson became pregnant the first night she met him at a dance lesson at a local Western club. He later challenged paternity of Savannah and admitted in court that he’d scrawled, “It’s a Bastard,” on her birth announcement.
A month before Nonnie Dotson disappeared, a judge named her primary joint managing conservator of Savannah. Nonnie Dotson also had given Candice Doyle the power of attorney — the right to care for Savannah if anything happened to her.
In November 2006, Nonnie Dotson left 16-month-old Savannah in the care of her sister-in-law in Littleton and went dancing at a Western club, where she met a man, according to a sheriff’s report.
The next day, she left her brother’s house around 3 p.m. to “go out to dinner, shopping and dancing,” the report stated. She left with “an unknown female in an unknown vehicle,” her sister-in-law told authorities.
Her relatives haven’t seen her since, and investigators in Jefferson County still have no leads in the disappearance.
Meanwhile, bad blood boiled between Vehle and the Doyles. In December 2006, the grandparents hired a private investigator to follow Vehle on at least five occasions as he cared for Savannah. That scrutiny yielded nothing alarming, testified Sterling Smith, the private investigator.
A court-appointed psychologist, Dina Trevino, testified that Vehle, 52, had embraced the responsibilities of fatherhood and recommended that he get sole custody of Savannah under the condition that her grandparents get as much access to her as possible.
“There’s still this vulnerable child,” Trevino warned. “There’s still this hole.”

Web Posted: 01/15/2008 12:17 AM CST

James Muñoz
KENS 5 Eyewitness News
Mother of missing AF nurse testifies in custody hearing
The custody battle over a 2-and-a-half-year-old San Antonio girl continues.
On Monday, Savannah Dotson’s maternal grandmother, Candice Dotson, took the stand. Candice has been caring for the child since her mother, 33-year-old Nonnie Dotson, disappeared in November 2006.
Both Candice and Savannah’s father, Ed Bailey, want sole custody, but after six days of testimony, there’s no new information to explain what happened to Nonnie.
Fourteen months ago, she disappeared while on a Thanksgiving trip to Colorado. Authorities believe she was met with foul play and are investigating the case as a homicide.
Meanwhile, the fight over Savannah is far from over. Bailey’s attorney says his client feels like his child was stolen from him. Throughout the trial, Bailey has shown a range of emotions and says he wants nothing more than to experience life with his daughter.
Candice was on the stand for hours Monday. Savannah’s step-grandfather also took the stand late Monday afternoon.
There are about four more witnesses in the case, after which it will go to the jury, which could happen as early as Wednesday

Web Posted: 01/08/2008 10:40 PM CST

Nancy Martinez
The custody battle for Savannah Dotson — a toddler whose mother disappeared more than a year ago — began Tuesday in state District Court, pitting a biological father who maintains he has a legal right to raise his child against maternal grandparents who argue he’s never played a role in her life.
Fighting for the 21/2-year-old is Edward Vehle, who says he would provide a loving home for Savannah, the most important person in his life.
“I want to be there when she wakes up in the morning. I want to make her breakfast and comb the knots in her hair. I want to teach her how to ride a blue bicycle. I want to be there when she joins the Brownies and cheerleaders. … I want to be there always for her,” he testified.
Attorneys for the grandparents, Candice and Kevin Doyle, argue that they should get custody, saying Savannah’s father was absent for the first 18 months of her life.
“Ed decides he wants custody of Savannah — a child he has never met. It’s like a trophy,” the Doyles’ attorney, H.E. Mendez, told jurors.
James Bass, Vehle’s attorney, argued, “If for some reason (children) can’t be with both parents, they ought to be with one.”
The question of who should raise the blond, brown-eyed toddler became a legal issue after her mother, Nonnie Dotson, mysteriously vanished from Littleton, Colo., in November 2006.
A former Air Force nurse at Wilford Hall Medical Center, Dotson disappeared after a night of Western dancing while visiting her brother in Colorado. At the time, Savannah’s mother was her primary caretaker. In the months following Dotson’s disappearance, Savannah lived with her maternal grandparents in San Antonio.
The jury of eight women and four men listened to hours of testimony as voices were raised and allegations flung in Judge Peter Sakai’s 225th District Court.
Mendez, the grandparents’ attorney, argued that it would be in Savannah’s best interest to live with her grandparents. “The first year of her life she spent living with her mother,” he said.
When asked about being absent from his daughter’s life, Vehle testified that he had regrets. “I feel bad about it,” he said. “I missed out.”
Bass, Vehle’s attorney, said his client was kept away from his daughter for too long. “Mrs. Doyle picked her up and wouldn’t let Ed see the child. Maybe it was a replacement for her child. She decided she wanted her granddaughter to be her,” he said.
One thing was clear from the testimony: At the time Dotson vanished, there were ongoing problems between her and Vehle.
Vehle said Dotson became pregnant the first night she met him at a dance lesson at a local Western club. He later challenged paternity of Savannah and admitted in court Monday that he wrote “It’s a Bastard” on her birth announcement.
Vehle described their relationship as “rocky” and “on again, off again,” saying he once called police to remove Dotson from his home because she was assaulting him. He said Dotson kept him away from their daughter because he wouldn’t marry her.
A month before Nonnie Dotson disappeared, a judge awarded her primary joint managing conservatorship of Savannah.
Vehle, who manages five ranch properties for his family and profits from the land, was ordered to pay back child support to Dotson for $10,500 — an amount he hasn’t paid because a subsequent court order didn’t include it.
Vehle — who wasn’t sure of his net worth, but estimated that he had spent more than $140,000 in attorney fees thus far — testified that Candice Doyle wrongfully accused him of having something to do with Nonnie Dotson’s disappearance, even after he provided evidence that he was in Texas at the time.
More than a year later — with no new leads — Nonnie Dotson’s disappearance remains under investigation.

Posted by Beau Dotson 12/23/2007

Pre-trial motions have continued throughout the week.  The actual trial should take place Monday, January 7th, 2008.

Posted by Beau Dotson 12/11/2007

Custody trial is scheduled for Dec 17th.

Posted by The Denver Post- Colleen O’Connor 11/28/2007

In mid-December, Candice and her husband, Kevin Doyle, will enter the last phase of a tough custody battle with Edward Vehle, Savannah’s biological father. They believe they will be the best guardian for the child and the best keeper of their daughter’s memory for Savannah.
Their lives have turned upside down. They’ve moved from California to Nonnie’s home in San Antonio to wage legal war while caring for Savannah in a temporary-custody arrangement.
Candice took a year’s leave of absence from her job as a flight attendant for Northwest. That year is now up.
“I have to get a doctor’s note saying I am in no shape to come back,” she said. “I haven’t had time to grieve over my daughter because I’m fighting a battle for my granddaughter.”
The Doyles are using their retirement money for legal fees, and trying to sell their house in California with the hope of using the money to increase the reward to $100,000.
Relations between the Doyles and Vehle are so fractious that they use a child exchange center when Vehle picks up Savannah for visitation.
Vehle’s custody lawyer, James Bass of San Antonio, has not returned repeated calls.
Bitterness preceded Nonnie’s disappearance. Court records show that Dotson and Vehle had several legal disputes over paternity and child support.
After Nonnie’s disappearance, he missed a meeting with detectives. He later said he didn’t know Dotson was even missing until he saw a newspaper article in which the Dotson family seemed to suggest he had something to do with it.
Vehle provided receipts from two grain stores that proved he was in Texas at the time Dotson disappeared, and also gave access to his cellphone records.
As the Doyles gear up for the jury trial in the custody case, Tony Dotson is papering his neighborhood with postcards he’s printed: pictures of Savannah and information on the $25,000 reward.
“It’s a message,” he said, “from Savannah, saying, ‘Help me find my mommy.’ “
Posted by Rocky Mountain News- Julie Poppen 11/19/2007
Balloons rise for Nonnie
Family, friends recall ICU nurse missing for a year
For many who gathered at Clement Park on Sunday afternoon, the spiraling white and pink balloons were a beautiful but grim reminder that Nonnie Dotson isn’t coming back.
Her friends and family know this because Dotson, a single mother and Air Force nurse, would never have willingly left her young daughter.
They know it because she had so many plans for herself and little Savannah.
And they know it because of the raw feeling in their guts.
The 33-year-old San Antonio resident vanished while visiting her brother, Tony, in Littleton on Nov. 19, 2006. She was due back at work as an intensive care nurse at Lackland Air Force Base two days later, her family said.
“We think she’s gone,” Dotson’s mother, Candice Doyle, said Sunday from San Antonio, where a similar commemorative event was held.
“I’ve had this feeling for quite a while now, but still, there’s a piece in the back of our minds and our hearts that do want to believe she’s out there – that she’s being held against her will.”
But even that explanation isn’t comforting, Doyle said.
“She would have figured out a way to get out by now,” said her mother, who’s caring for 2-year- old Savannah while custody issues are resolved.
At both events, people shared memories, listened to Dotson’s favorite songs and sent balloons aloft.
They wept and hugged. Many participants, who have been grieving alone, finally got to share their feelings and memories.
In San Antonio, a colonel recalled how Dotson had nursed him to health after he suffered a brain aneurysm. He joked that she always felt she had to be on her best behavior because of his rank. One day, another high-ranking officer came to visit in civilian clothes and Dotson remarked, “I’m glad you’re not a general,” only to find out he was.
“We told stories about Nonnie and laughed a lot,” Doyle said.
Friends recalled Dotson’s exuberant laugh and big heart. They remembered how much she loved her daughter.
A jury trial is slated to begin one week from today in Texas to determine custody of Savannah. Her father, Edward Vehle, of San Antonio, is seeking custody, as are her grandparents.
Dotson and Vehle never married, and family members say he was not involved in his daughter’s life.
“We’re just hoping they’ll be able to read through the lines and see who’s sincere and do what’s best for Savannah,” Doyle said. “She’s a loving little girl. She’s very active now, very talkative, very possessive of her nana and papa.”
The Doyles have put up a $25,000 reward for information leading them to their daughter.
“Somebody knows something,” Dotson’s older brother, Tony, said at Clement Park. “If she isn’t with us anymore, we’d like to put her to rest.”
A Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office investigator is assigned to the case, said sheriff’s spokesman Jim Shires. The detective is in contact with the Air Force Office of Special Investigations.
Dotson had logged onto a dating Web site for single parents a few times in the hours before she failed to return to her brother’s home after running errands.Posted by Tony Dotson 11/16/2007

Youtube video with family photos
Posted by CBS4 11/16/2007(CBS4) SAN ANTONIO A homicide detective has been assigned to the missing person’s case of an Air Force nurse who went missing a year ago in Jefferson County. Her parents are now caring for their 2-year-old granddaughter.
Police say they have no strong leads in the case of Nonnie Dotson.
Dotson’s mother and her husband have moved into Dotson’s home in San Antonio to care for the grandchild, Savannah.
The grandparents are in a custody battle with Nonnie Dotson’s estranged husband. A jury will hear the case later this month.
“I don’t have time to think about anything but Savannah, so that fills my day, my loneliness comes at night when she’s in bed, then I think of Nonnie,” said Candice Doyle, Nonnie Dotson’s mother.
A ceremony in honor of Nonnie Dotson’s life is scheduled for Sunday at 1 p.m. at Clement Park in Littleton.Posted by Charlie Brennan, Reporter 11/15/2007

Texas Police News
Answer Still Sought In Air Force Nurse Disappearance
Nearly one year has passed since the disappearance of Air Force nurse Nonnie Ann Dotson, with a solution to the mystery seemingly no closer.
However, the case has recently been re-assigned to Jefferson County Sheriff’s investigator Kate Battan, and she says there is clearly work that can be done toward finding an answer behind the 33-year-old San Antonio woman’s vanishing.
“When it was reassigned to me, and I started reviewing the case, as soon as I saw that there were questions, in my mind, that have not been answered, then I am actively working this case,” said Battan.
“I actually have a list of people that I would like to interview again.”
Dotson, who was based at Wilford Hall Medical Center at Lackland Air Force Base outside San Antonio, came to the Denver area with her then 1-year-old daughter, Savannah, to visit her brother Tony Dotson, who lives in Ken Karyl Ranch.
She left his home the afternoon of Nov. 19, with apparent plans to do a few errands. She never returned, and it’s not even certain that errands were her actual reason for leaving that day, with her daughter in her brother’s care.
Her passport was left behind at her home in San Antonio, she left many other personal effects at her brother’s home including medicine required as follow-up to recent eye surgery and none of her credit cards or bank accounts have shown activity since she went missing.
“I don’t believe she’s still with us,” said her mother, Candice Doyle, who now lives in Nonnie Dotson’s north San Antonio home and cares for Savannah. “In my heart, I think she’s gone.
“I’m not ready to do any kind of a memorial. I still am not there. I can’t accept that, yet. But in my heart, I believe she’s gone.”
However, there will be a remembrance of Nonnie Dotson in San Antonio and Littleton on Sunday.
Friends will gather in Colorado near Johnson Reservoir in Clement Park, and at a 9/11 memorial near Lackland A.F.B. in Texas, to release balloons and celebrate Dotson’s life.
Doyle said that Savannah, now talking, frequently asks about her mother.
“She asks, ‘Where is my mama?’ And we tell her that we don’t know, that we’re looking for her, at that we’ll never stop looking for her. We tell her that her mama got lost, and she can’t find her way back home.”
Also, Doyle said, “We take her to a psychologist to make sure we’re doing all the right things.”
Savannah’s father is San Antonio resident Edward Vehle, who never married Nonnie Dotson, and broke up with her prior to Savannah’s birth.
A Bexar (Texas) County judge ruled little more than a month before Dotson vanished that Vehle must pay her $10,000 in back child support, plus another $900 per month until the girl turned 18.
Vehle initially balked at talking with investigators, but was eventually interviewed by Bexar County Sheriff’s detectives, at the request of their Jefferson County counterparts.
Vehle and Nonnie’s mother and step-father will square off in a Bexar County courtroom Nov. 26 in a trial to determine custody of Savannah.
Jefferson County Sheriff’s investigator Battan said she’ll follow its with interest.
“It is still information that might shed some light that we didn’t know before, so all information is information that I want,” said Battan. “We always look at the people who know her, the people closest to her, the people that she associates with, whether it’s on the Internet or whether it’s people in her life.”
Police have named no suspects in the case, in part because there is still no certainty even that a crime has been committed. Still, Battan admits that in 2007 it is harder for people to vanish completely than it used to be.
“In some ways I think it’s really, really hard to just disappear without a trace,” said Battan. “I think it’s very hard to do that. There are so many ways that we can find people.”
However, she added, “In the advent of identity theft, if you have a very, very smart, smart person, it’s really easy to find a new identity.
But I think that would be the exception not the rule, because you would have to be very savvy about ID theft.”
Battan said she has developed a gut feeling about the answer to whether Dotson disappeared against her will or voluntarily, but wouldn’t share it for publication.
“The information is pointing me in a direction that I’m not sure this investigation went in before,” she said.
Dotson danced and spoke with several men the night before she disappeared, at the Grizzly Rose, near Interstate 25 and 58th Avenue. But Battan said all her contacts that night have been interviewed, and that for her, they did not raise “red flags.”
“We always look at where was she last seen who last saw her. Where do we go from there” Battan said.
“I know she was on the Internet (logged into an undisclosed Web site) at 2:07 p.m. on November 19th, so that’s where I start,” she said. “What happened at 2:08?”
Ken Murray, a San Antonio dance instructor whose country dancing class is where Dotson and Vehle originally met, fears the worse.
“She’s not alive,” Murray said. “She couldn’t be alive, and be away from her child this long.”

Posted by 11/13/2007

A local mother has been missing for almost a year. The reality is finally setting in, she may never come home.
Capt. Nonnie Dotson’s family is continuing on now. The Air Force flight nurse has a 2-year-old daughter, and she is now the center of a fight.
Dotson’s mom wants her, but so does the child’s father.
Nonnie had just won a hotly contested paternity suit. Two months later she vanished while on a trip to Golden, Colo. A year later, the fight over Savannah continues.
Candice Dotson has a hope chest full of her daughter’s accomplishments.
“Something for Savannah to have when she’s older and for Savannah to be proud of, so that she’s proud of her mom,” she said.
Nonnie was last seen on Nov. 19, one year later, her mother believes she was killed.
“I think she would be home; she would have gotten the word out somehow that she was alive,” Candice said.
Authorities in Jefferson County, Colo., say they’ve gotten a handful of tips, but nothing to lead them to Nonnie or to evidence there was ever a crime.
“Somebody knows somebody did something, and that’s all we’re asking for. Open up your heart, whatever you know, it needs to come out,” Candice said.
Savannah turned 2 in July, and she’s asking more and more questions a grandma can’t answer.
“She needs to be brought home; we need to have peace,” Candice said. “Savannah needs to know what happened to her mother.”
There is a $25,000 reward for information that leads to Nonnie’s whereabouts. If you have any information, call 303-271-5612.
Friends and family are having a celebration service for her on Sunday at 1 p.m. It will be at the 9/11 Memorial off Highway 90.

Posted by Beau Dotson 9/20/2007

Three months have passed with no new leads and the custody trial continues.
In July, 2007 the reward was increased from $10,000.00 to $25,000.00, but only received one posting in San Antonio.

Posted by Beau Dotson 6/29/2007

After March the news pretty much stopped. There haven’t been any new leads and the custody trial over Savannah continues.

Posted 3/13/2007

LITTLETON – The family of a missing Air Force nurse says they got some good news on Tuesday.
A San Antonio, Texas judge ruled in favor of 33-year-old Nonnie Dotson’s mother, Candace Dotson, granting her continued temporary custody of Nonnie’s 20-month-old daughter, Savannah.
Nonnie disappeared from her brother’s home in Littleton on November 19th.
Her family has been fighting for custody of Savannah with Nonnie’s ex-boyfriend, Ed Vehli.
“It’s been really hard on the family, this whole fight for Savannah,” said Tony Dotson, Nonnie’s sister.
“It’s really just kind of been a roller coaster,” said Aimee Dotson, Nonnie’s sister-in-law.
Shortly after Nonnie disappeared, Savannah moved to California to live with her grandmother. It was then that Vehli filed for custody, to try and get Savannah to live with him in San Antonio.
“All of a sudden Nonnie has disappeared and he has this interest in a child that he could have cared less about when Nonnie was here,” said Aimee.
The family says despite their court wins, they are afraid a judge will eventually rule against them. As part of Tuesday’s ruling, Vehli gets visitation rights for the next 45 days. After that, he will have another opportunity to file for full custody.
“I think our biggest concern is that if Ed wins full custody of this child we’ll never see Savannah again,” said Aimee.
Savannah’s grandparents are moving from California to San Antonio to make the visitations easier.
The family is also holding onto hope they will someday see Nonnie again.
“Some days we feel that there is a little hope that she is out there somewhere,” said Aimee.

Posted by 1/29/2007

A Texas judge recently denied Vehle’s bid for temporary custody earlier this month and instead awarded it to Dotson’s parents, Candice Dotson and stepfather Kevin Doyle, of Long Beach, Calif. Nonnie Dotson and Vehle live separately in San Antonio, Texas. They never married.
Dotson had bought a home in Texas and was scheduled to complete her military commitment in March. She’s an intensive care nurse at Lackland Air Force Base.
About two months before Nonnie Dotson disappeared, a Texas judge had ordered Vehle to pay her $10,000 in back child support and $900 a month until their daughter was 18, according to the Rocky Mountain News.
On The Early Show Monday, Candice Dotson told co-anchor Julie Chen she’s sure her daughter is being held against her will and, in her mind, everyone remains a suspect, including Vehle.
Nonnie Dotson’s family is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to her whereabouts. If you have any information, please call the tip line for the Jefferson County, Colo. Sheriff’s Office at 303-271-5612, or your local FBI office.

Posted by 1/13/2007

Beau Dotson said he felt helpless as he awoke every morning in a remote mountainous area near the Pakistan border in Afganistan.
His twin sister Nonnie, 33, had vanished Nov. 19 and there was nothing the U.S. Department of Defense communication specialist could do.
“I got tired trying to deal with this from Afganistan,” Dotson said.
Saturday, Dotson – now back in Littleton – and other family members offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to the whereabouts of his sister.
“I don’t see how someone can disappear in the middle of the day going to the store,” Dotson said. “Someone has to know something.”
The puzzle of what happened to his sister – who used to tease him about being the baby of the family because she was born 22 minutes earlier, he said.
“It was hard to wake up and go to work,” said the U.S. Department of Defense communication specialist, who has established satellite links in every providence of Afganistan since 2004.
Getting back to the U.S. wasn’t easy for Dotson.
He asked for the leave about a month ago but he first had to wait for a convoy to take him out of snow-capped mountains to Asadabad.
Then he took a series of short flights in a cargo plane and two Blackhawk helicopters to Kabul, where he took a 22-hour commercial flight to Colorado.
Nonnie, a U.S. Air Force nurse, was visiting her brother Tony Dotson in Jefferson County, while on leave from Lackland Air Force Base when set went missing.
She said she was going to a nearby store for a smoothie, Tony Dotson said.
Nonnie Dotson left behind her 18-month-old daughter Savannah.
“She adored her daughter. She meant everything to her,” Beau Dotson said. “She would never leave her behind.”
There are hopes the reward will prompt someone to come forward with information, Beau Dotson said.
Savannah has since gone to live with her grandmother in California.
Savannah’s father, Edward Vehle, 53, who was ordered to pay $900 a month in child support and $10,000 in back child support, does not intend to contest Savannah’s move, accoridng to Vehle’s attorney.
Vehle, who had a contentious relationship with Nonnie Dotson, gave police two receipts proving he was in Texas when his former girlfriend disappeared.

Posted by 12/12/2006

One of the most recent clues – if it was a clue at all – underscores the absence of solid leads in the vexing disappearance of missing Air Force nurse Nonnie Ann Dotson.
A friend of hers received a phone call six days ago. There was only static on the other end of the line.
Was it Dotson, trying to make contact from some unknown location? Or was it just a wrong number?
It may never be known, and detectives are running out of other good tips to follow in seeking to solve the mystery of the 33-year-old’s whereabouts. She vanished just over three weeks ago.
“The incredible effort that initially went into this investigation has subsided quite a bit, simply because we don’t have new tips, leads or information to employ that number of personnel any longer,” said Jefferson County sheriff’s spokeswoman Jacki Kelley.
“If new information should come in, then we will divert more resources back to it. But for the time being, because we have really and truly exhausted all efforts, the case is now assigned to two investigators.”
At times, as many as 12 had been at work trying to solve the mystery of Dotson’s Nov. 19 disappearance. And for the two still working Dotson’s case, Kelley said, it is not their sole responsibility.
Dotson, who lives in San Antonio, disappeared Nov. 19 while visiting Colorado. She and her toddler daughter were staying at the Jefferson County home of her brother, Tony.
Her family has said she left her brother’s house to run errands, leaving her toddler daughter, Savannah Marie, in his care. Dotson hasn’t been seen since.
“I have no clue” what happened, Tony Dotson said Monday. “Obviously, we feel that somebody knows something. Somebody always does.
“It’s just that there is nothing whatsoever to go on, which is weird.”
Officials at the Wilford Hall Medical Center at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, where Dotson worked, changed her status from “whereabouts unknown” to “missing” earlier this month.
The last significant known step in the investigation was a detective’s interview last week in San Antonio with Edward Vehle, the father of Dotson’s child. He’d had a stormy relationship with Dotson since she became pregnant with their now 17-month-old daughter. The couple never married.
Investigators described Vehle as cooperative in that interview, and his lawyer said Vehle was in Texas when Dotson disappeared.
Detectives still are not leaning more toward either foul play or a voluntary absence by Dotson.
“The reason we are not any closer to believing that one theory is more probable than the other is because we have no evidence of, or information, to support that there is a stronger case for either,” Kelley said.
Anyone with information is urged to call the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office tip line at 303-271-5612.

Posted by 12/6/2006

Jefferson County sheriff’s investigators are still split over whether Nonnie Ann Dotson is missing voluntarily or the victim of foul play.
But the Air Force is leaning toward the more tragic of the possibilities.
Officials at the Wilford Hall Medical Center at Lackland AFB in San Antonio over the weekend changed Dotson’s status from “whereabouts unknown” to “missing.”
“It was the commander’s determination that she would be here if there weren’t extenuating circumstances,” said 2nd Lt. David Herndon, spokesman for the 59th Medical Wing, Lackland AFB.
The reassessment of Dotson’s status was decided by Dotson’s commander, Col. Jill Stirling of the 759th Surgical Operations Squadron.
“It was from her own investigation as a commander, looking at (Dotson’s) previous work experience and her commitment to the job,” Herndon said. He described Dotson’s work history as free of unexplained tardiness or absences.
Dotson arrived in Colorado Nov. 16 to visit her brother and his family. On Nov. 19, two days before she was due to return to Texas and work, she disappeared.
Her family has said she left her brother’s house in Littleton to run errands, leaving her toddler daughter, Savannah Marie, in his care. The 33-year-old mom hasn’t been seen since.
Investigators are still “at a loss,” Jefferson County sheriff’s spokeswoman Jacki Kelley said Tuesday.
But they are hoping an interview with her former boyfriend – Savannah’s father – will help move the case forward.
On Tuesday, an attorney for Dotson’s ex-boyfriend said his client, Edward Vehle, will meet with police today.
Jefferson County investigators have repeatedly expressed frustration that Vehle, a 53-year-old San Antonio-area resident, has not spoken with detectives sooner.
Vehle declined last week to meet with investigators. Police thought he might meet with them Friday, then again Monday, but the meetings were postponed.
“We are hopeful that this interview, which has been rescheduled twice now, will come to fruition,” Kelley said Tuesday.
The couple were never married and had a brief, but troubled, relationship.
Jay Norton, a prominent San Antonio criminal defense lawyer, said it would be wrong to make negative assumptions about his client based on his decisions not to talk to police sooner and hiring an attorney.
“First of all, he didn’t have any idea that Ms. Dotson had disappeared or was not where she was supposed to be,” said Norton. “He thought she was in the San Antonio area.
“The first thing he hears about it is that somebody hands him a copy of a newspaper, wherein the family up in Colorado is making, at the very minimum, innuendo that bad things had happened to her in Texas. That’s an unfair and inaccurate portrayal.”
The next thing Vehle knew, said Norton, homicide investigators were asking to speak with him.
“It’s pretty natural you would want to go consult with an attorney, to get a better handle” on what police are looking for, and why, said Norton.
A Texas judge ordered Vehle Sept. 21 to pay $10,000 in back child support and $900 a month until Savannah is 18.
Although Vehle contested Savannah’s paternity, and a friend of Dotson’s said last week that Vehle had never held his child, Norton said -Vehle wants to be part of the girl’s life.
“He wants contact, via the courts, and via the proper channels,” said Norton. “He’s like most people. He wants to be a good father to the daughter.”
The attorney said Vehle was in Texas – and not in Colorado – when Dotson went missing.

Posted by 12/2/2206

It started with a dance and ended in shouting matches.
Country western dance instructor Ken Murray has known missing Air Force nurse Nonnie Ann Dotson and Edward Vehle, the father of Dotson’s toddler daughter, since the first days of their brief and stormy relationship.
The couple met in one of the many classes Murray teaches at the 25,000-square-foot Midnight Rodeo dance club in northeast San Antonio, giving Murray a ringside seat to their turbulent time together.
Vehle, 53, of San Antonio, never married Dotson. He is due to be interviewed by police early next week. Investigators consider that meeting a key step in possibly learning how Dotson, 33, vanished without a trace Nov. 19 while visiting her brother’s home in Littleton.
Dotson became pregnant in the fall of 2004, shortly after she and Vehle started dating. Two weeks before their daughter, Savannah Marie, was born, Vehle called police to his suburban San Antonio home to break up a domestic spat when Dotson tried to retrieve her belongings.
A judge issued an order two months ago requiring Vehle to pay Dotson $10,000 in back support and $900 a month until Savannah is 18.
“When they went to court, I would talk to Nonnie extensively about it,” Murray said. “She said ‘Ed didn’t want the child. He wanted me to get an abortion, and he said I did it on purpose to get him trapped into marriage.’ ”
Murray described Dotson, a 1991 Overland High School grad, as a loving mother. He can’t imagine her abandoning her 16- month-old child voluntarily.
Dotson attended a dance competition in Dallas one weekend before her disappearance, for which Murray was also on hand.
“She introduced her baby to all the dancers up there,” Murray recalled.
Murray is familiar with Vehle as a dance student and frequent patron at Midnight Rodeo.
“Ed’s rich. And he can definitely afford to handle a child,” Murray said. Vehle claims to have significant land holdings in south Texas, according to Murray.
“He basically just runs around bragging that he doesn’t work for a living,” Murray said. “You never hear about him working.”
Murray also knew Vehle’s previous girlfriend, a woman roughly 30 years Vehle’s junior. She married an Air Force man who is posted – like Dotson – to Lackland AFB.
“I’ve seen how Ed treated (his previous girlfriend), and he treated her like a queen, hand and foot,” Murray said.
“But Nonnie was a little bit different. As soon as she became pregnant, he took it like, ‘Oh man, the party’s over.’ He wanted to break up with her immediately after that.”
Jefferson County sheriff’s spokesman Jim Shires said Friday that interviewing Vehle remains a critical task on detectives’ to-do list. That’s expected to happen early next week in the office of Vehle’s attorney.
Neither Vehle nor his lawyer returned calls Friday.
Shires said Vehle is not suspected of any wrongdoing in Dotson’s disappearance. But, said Shires, “It kind of raised some eyebrows – why, all of a sudden, without even talking to us, he contacts an attorney.”

Transcripts from the Nancy Grace show that aired 12/1/2006

NANCY GRACE, HOST: Tonight, a brunette beauty, a young nurse vanishes right here on American soil, at home waiting, her 16-month-old baby girl. Why has the baby`s dad refused to meet with police? Where is Nonnie Dotson?
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: (INAUDIBLE) new details now coming out that she had been to a line dancing club, a country-Western bar the night before (INAUDIBLE) and apparently had been bothered by a couple of patrons, finally left that establishment, went back to her brother`s house the next day, planning to run errands, planning to go out, and was never seen again. It`s a situation where she left that 16-month-old girl with her brother. He was going to watch Savannah, along with his own children.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: … somebody`s got her, that somebody`s got her and doing who knows what, you know, to her. She would be here if she could.
GRACE: Good evening, everybody. I`m Nancy Grace. I want to thank you for being with us.
Tonight: An Air Force nurse vanishes into thin air, not overseas fighting for her country but right here on American soil, leaving behind a 16-month-old baby girl. Where is Nonnie Dotson tonight?
Straight out to Kevin McGlue, the news director with KCOL in San Diego. Welcome, Kevin. What can you tell us?
KEVIN MCGLUE, KCOL: Well, I`ll tell you what, really three big developments in terms of really trying to find anything but dead ends in this case. First of all, the fact that the father of Nonnie`s 16-month-old daughter, Savannah, that being 53-year-old Edward Vehle, finally is speaking with investigators down in Texas. He had initially declined to speak with authorities. And that really being reported as something that his attorney had advised him to do. Now he is, in fact, answering some questions.
And you go into the past of both Nonnie and Edward Vehle and their relationship. and it certainly was a rocky relationship. So hopefully, there will be something gleaned from that conversation.
Also reports that Nonnie Dotson had a conversation with her mother about how, quote, “The Air Force has done me way wrong.” Now, again, this might just be idle chatter between a mother and daughter, but for those people who are in the camp that believe that possibly Nonnie staged her own disappearance and wanted to leave and not go back to Lackland Air Force base down in San Antonio, this provides a little bit of fodder.
Third and finally, family and friends right now taking to the Internet in their search for Nonnie. They posted an informative clip on Youtube which gives all of Nonnie`s information, the description, last known whereabouts, several pictures, almost a slide show, if you will, set to music. Nonnie was someone who obviously was involved in the Internet, did some Internet dating, was frequently checking her Myspace page and posting blogs on there, was also active on So family and friends really thinking that this is a demographic maybe that should be reached out to a little more effectively, as they may have some information that those in the general public may just not have.
GRACE: Let`s unchain the lawyers. Joining us tonight from the Texas jurisdiction, Courtney Anderson, and from the Atlanta jurisdiction, Renee Rockwell. First to you, Courtney. I don`t like it. Here`s the father of this baby. He`s 53 years old. He`s a grown man. He should know better. What`s he doing not cooperating with police? All this time passing, and finally, he breaks down and talks to police. What`s the holdup?
COURTNEY ANDERSON, DEFENSE ATTORNEY: Well, I`m not going to characterize it that way. I mean, it sounds like the gentleman did what anybody who is smart would do in the beginning. Somebody`s disappeared, police are asking questions, the media gets involved. You need to ask an attorney to help you. He gets an attorney to help him. Allegedly, apparently, some police tried to come to his home and he didn`t have counsel present. He was not able to speak to them because of that at that time. He now…
GRACE: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa!
ANDERSON: … agreed to do so.
GRACE: What now? The mother of your baby is missing, a 16-month-old baby girl. Mom walks out to get a smoothie and run a couple of errands, she`s gone, and you can`t talk to police? Now, why was that?
ANDERSON: Some of the reports that I`ve seen have said that the father was not that close with the child and probably not that close with his former girlfriend. So he might not have had a good, strong, positive day-to-day relationship. Thus, if the police came calling, I would do like probably he thought to do. He thought, Let me talk to a lawyer. Let me see what I need to do. He got the suspicion that people weren`t coming to talk to him to see if he`d e-mailed her that day or had a conversation with her about what kind of smoothie she wanted. He probably suspected they were looking at him as a potential suspect in her disappearance.
GRACE: OK, to you, Renee Rockwell. Doesn`t he owe her — and he`s not a suspect. I`m just laying it out there, what we know tonight. Isn`t it true that he owes her several thousand dollars worth of child support payments?
RENEE ROCKWELL, DEFENSE ATTORNEY: That`s true, Nancy, but — because of a paternity suit. But I have never been happy about a client making a statement. People tend to want to talk to the police, to talk themselves out of trouble. But never have I, as a defense attorney, been happy about a statement. It`s not happening. You`re not going to talk the police out of anything.
GRACE: Take a listen to what her mother has to say.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: … somebody`s got her, that somebody`s got her and doing who knows what, you know, to her. She would be here if she could. (INAUDIBLE) Nonnie, and we`ll keep looking for you until we find you. We just want you home. Just want you home!
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Every time the phone rings, you jump. Every time somebody knocks on the door, you jump. And it`s just — it`s a cumulative effect.
GRACE: Out to Art Harris, investigative reporter. Art, what can you tell me about the father of the baby? First of all, he is not geographically suitable as a suspect anyway. He`s in Texas. She is up in Colorado, as I recall. So where was he at the time she went missing?
ART HARRIS, INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER: Well, we don`t know and have to assume, at this point, he`s not a suspect, say police. He was in San Antonio. If he`s in San Antonio, has an alibi, that brings us to her final hours, Nancy. The night before, she was at a country and Western bar called the Grizzly Rose in Littleton. She loved to line dance. She left there controversially, we don`t know, between 12:00 and 2:00.
GRACE: Did I just hear you say controversially?
HARRIS: Well, there are two stories when she left. Some people in the bar said she was last seen about midnight, Nancy. Others say that — oh, she said to her brother later that she shut the place down.
GRACE: OK, now, let me ask you something, Art Harris. Let me see Art right now. Art, are you trying in some way to say that because we all know she was a — she was a line dancing enthusiast. So are you saying that somehow, because this young mom went out and had a good time and stayed out late and closed the place down, that somehow that`s connected to her disappearance the next day, in the afternoon, after she`s been at home with her child…
HARRIS: Nancy? Nancy, it depends…
GRACE: … and goes to get a smoothie, because she`s a party girl? Is that what you`re saying?
HARRIS: You know, Nancy, it depends on who she met. Apparently, reports she had some run-ins with some bad actors, bad characters that night. She left about 2:30, got home, was on her computer. Her brother heard her. And the next day goes out to get a smoothie about 1:00 o`clock.
Now, we don`t know where she met anybody, if she met somebody from the night before. This is something that police want to find out. They`ve been trying to interview people who were at the bar that night and close that timeline. They want anyone who has seen her between midnight and 3:00 in the morning the night before to please call police.
GRACE: OK, I`ve got a little problem here. Joining me is Jim Shires, the PIO, public information officer, with Jefferson County sheriff`s office there in Golden (ph), Colorado. Welcome, sir. Thank you very much for being with us.
Everyone is focusing on what took her so long to get home, from the line dancing the night before to home. She made it home safely. She spent the night at home. She played with her child. She was on line. She left the next day in the afternoon to go run some errands. Why is everyone so focused on the timeline the night before, Sheriff?
JIM SHIRES, PUBLIC INFO. OFFICER, JEFFERSON CO. SHERIFF`S OFFICE: Well, I think that`s one of the puzzles that`s still out there that we are trying to piece together with this whole incident of Nonnie missing. And that`s our major concern, is put all of the pieces together so we have a full understanding of who Nonnie met, who she was seeing, if anybody, and also why we want to talk to Mr. Vehle.
GRACE: Now, Mr. Vehle, that`s the boyfriend, the ex-boyfriend?
SHIRES: That`s correct. Mr. Vehle is the father of Savannah Marie.
GRACE: The biological dad. Do we know that he was there in Texas, where he lives, at the time Nonnie went missing?
SHIRES: I`m not aware of that, at this point, of his exact location where he was when she went missing.
GRACE: OK. Do we have any reason to believe that he was in the Colorado jurisdiction?
GRACE: You know, another thing I`m trying to figure out, what was happening in the home at the time she left the home? Who all was at home beside her baby girl, Savannah? Who else was there?
SHIRES: My understanding, it was her brother and his children.
GRACE: The brother and his children. Where was his wife?
SHIRES: She was at work.
GRACE: She was at work. So it was just the sister and the brother and their children. Did she leave behind her — oh, no, she took her cell phone with her, right?
SHIRES: That`s our understanding, correct.
GRACE: Out to Mike Brooks. Mike, thanks for being with us, former D.C. cop and former fed with the FBI. Mike, I understand that scent dogs tracked her away from the home onto the ramp of an interstate. Tracker dogs can smell you when you`re in a car. That`s not unusual. Then they lost her somewhere on the interstate. What do you make of it?
MIKE BROOKS, FORMER D.C. POLICE, SERVED ON FBI TERRORISM TASK FORCE: That would (INAUDIBLE) to me (INAUDIBLE) these were the good tracker dog with a good handler, Nancy, (INAUDIBLE) she may have gotten into a vehicle with somebody by that interstate. Now, the smoothie place she was going to was apparently on the other side of the interstate. So there`s a possibility she could have gotten in a car with someone or someone could have snatched her and put her in a car.
And Nancy, also, we`re talking about the timeline with Deputy Shires. One of the things we want to take a look at, too — she was supposed to have met a female at that bar and the female didn`t show up. Was there really a female or was there not a female? She also was on, apparently, before she went. And her brother said that he thought that she was back on that Web site somewhere around 2:30 AM, approximately 2:30 AM, when she apparently got home. So who was she talking to? And that`s a big question.
GRACE: OK. Now — now you`re talking. Although I don`t like the biological dad not immediately speaking to police, now, that`s his constitutional right. But long story short, if he`s down in Texas, this lady`s in Colorado, who gives a fig if he talks to police or not?
I`m interested in this Mark Brooks, What can you tell me, Mark?
MARK BROOKS, ONLINEPERSONALSWATCH.COM: This is actually a niche dating site targeting single parents. It`s one of the top dating — niche dating networks in the USA. Black people meet and senior people meet at two other properties that this particular network has. It`s the most popular by far in the single parents niche.
She had a profile which is actually still alive on the site. And I`m a little disturbed by a couple of things that she said in her profile. In the very first line, she says that she likes to be kissed anywhere and she also — you know, it`s a very endearing profile, but it also portrays her – – it makes her seem a little vulnerable. She says, “I`m the girl who loves it when you introduce me to your friends as your girlfriend.” So this kind of profile, I think, endearing as it is, is possibly going to draw in the – – somebody who`s more interested in a casual relationship, to be sure.
GRACE: OK, wait a minute. Wait a minute. Let me get this straight. Mark Brooks is with us, joining us out of Tampa, Florida. He is with Mark, what about her profile bugs you? What makes her look vulnerable, as you say?
MARK BROOKS: Well, there`s a couple of things. I looked over her Myspace profile here, and her Myspace profile is quite — quite — she actually writes an extended blog post called “Ode to the nice girls,” which — she says, “This rant was written because a nice girl finally snapped.”
GRACE: The nice girl finally did what?
MARK BROOKS: “A nice girl finally snapped.” She refers to herself as a nice girl who finally snapped.
GRACE: What do you mean snapped?
MARK BROOKS: Well, good question. Let me read on. She says, “This is homage to the girls who laugh loud and often, who are comfortable in skirts, sweats and combat boots.” But then she also says, “This is for the girls who have been used and abused.” So — and this goes on for three pages.
GRACE: OK. Let`s go out to Dr. Patricia Saunders, clinic psychologist. Dr. Saunders, for us to sit back and throw stones at someone meeting on line — I`m not buying into that. You know how many people are meeting and getting married and having long-term relationships by meeting on line? It`s not that unusual anymore, apparently. But what do you make of what Mark has just told you? Does this make her more vulnerable in some way?
PATRICIA SAUNDERS, CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGIST: Well, I think that there are a number of factors that may make her vulnerable. If she has a history of abusive relationships with men — women who have that kind of relationship will tend to be very vulnerable and miss certain danger cues. The — we know that there are predators out there, even on a dating site. The Internet creates a false sense of intimacy, a false sense of security. And it`s very possible that somebody spotted someone who`s yearning to have a real relationship, who`s a good girl, and had nefarious purposes in mind.
GRACE: Let`s go out to the lines. Allen in Illinois. Hi, Allen.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Hi, Nancy. I love you, and…
GRACE: Thank you.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: … keep up the good fight.
GRACE: Thank you. That will take some energy, but I`ll try. What`s your question, dear?
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I was wondering, have they been able to ping her any on her cell phone?
GRACE: Let`s go straight back out to Mike Brooks. What can you tell me?
MIKE BROOKS: Apparently, they were able to trace her to one part up by the interstate. And then after that, nothing else — nothing at all on her cell phone. And also, have not been any activity on her credit card or her ATM card. They`ve been following that, but no activity whatsoever, which concerns me also, Nancy.
GRACE: Now, the pinging — again, sorry, I couldn`t quite hear you. Where did the pinging drop off, Mike?
MIKE BROOKS: It was somewhere around the interstate, where they were able to trace it back to her interstate where she went to get the smoothie. Apparently, then it dropped off right about there. So either she turned it off, the battery`s run down — and you know, as I said, there has been no activity on her credit card or ATM card at all, Nancy. And that is very concerning to me.
GRACE: To Jim Shires, the PIO in Jefferson County sheriff`s office there in Colorado. Sheriff, again, thank you for being with us. That is very, very disturbing, for her cell phone to stop pinging. In other words, it`s either cut off or the battery is dead. No ATM withdrawals, no credit card, nothing. She`s not out gallivanting or having a good time or doing a walkabout.
SHIRES: Well, that`s definitely some things that concern us, too. As far as the cell phone goes, we tried three or four times to, as they call it, triangulate where that cell phone was, and we came up to the same location each time we did that. That field, that area where that phone was supposedly located at and had not moved for three days until we believe the battery went dead, has been walked by our K-9 units, many of our employees here, investigators here, sheriff`s deputies out there in the field. We walked about five to six miles in that area.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Sixteen-month-old Savannah is to young to understand why her mother is missing.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: She would be here if she could.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: But her grandmother knows something horrible may have taken her away. Nonnie`s family is doing everything they can to find her…
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: … before her little girl asks where her mother is.
GRACE: A young brunette beauty, an Air Force nurse, goes missing right here on American soil. No, not overseas in Iraq, but just feet away from her brother`s own home, the family home, she is last seen, never seen again.
Straight back out to Jim Shires with Jefferson County sheriff`s office. Sheriff, let me get this straight. Almost the same place you can last detect her cell phone is where you also lost the dog scent on her? Sheriff, are you with me? OK, not hearing Sheriff Shires.
Let`s go to Art Harris. Can you fill me in on that?
HARRIS: The cell phone apparently was in that area where they last believe she was, near the interstate. But they also wonder if the ping may have been the tower of the cell phone nearby. So inconclusive exactly what that ping picked up.
GRACE: Do we know, Kevin McGlue, whether she ever made it to the smoothie shop?
MCGLUE: No, she apparently did not. And again, this is a situation where it was a 10-minute walk, and apparently, where they located not only the pinging but the scent was also about 10 minutes away from her brother`s house. So all indications say, no, she never did.
GRACE: What more can you tell me about the father of the little girl?
MCGLUE: Well, when you look at, really, what goes into this case with Mr. Vehle, what I think interests authorities is the fact that he called police back in Hollywood Park, Texas, in June of 2005, after Dotson had apparently refused to leave his home while she was picking up some of her belongings. That was just two weeks before she actually gave birth to Savannah, the couple`s daughter, and later had to come back with a police officer to retrieve those belongings.
MCGLUE: So again, a situation where it`s rocky.
GRACE: So not a happy home life.
Out to Joann in New York. Hi, Joann.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yes. I`m wondering if anybody`s doing — checking on any connections where she made comments about the military, you know, did her wrong. You know, is there any, you know, looking into anything like that? I mean, you hear all these stories, like with the runaway bride and stuff like that. I mean, you know, what`s going on there? And also, what about anybody she may have been on line with? You know, they can trace that stuff, too, can`t they?
GRACE: Yes, they really can. To Kevin McGlue. What do we know about the computer? Has it been taken? And what does she mean about her comments regarding the Air Force?
MCGLUE: Well, and again, this is a situation that comes out of the affidavit that the courts have just filed earlier in the week. And that is a comment that`s covered in the affidavits, and the exact quote of, “The Air Force has done me way wrong,” which apparently she made to her mother on Wednesday, the 15th.
Apparently, that computer is right now being examined by authorities in Texas. And they have sent out and sent this affidavit to acquire the not only Hotmail service but also Myspace and to divulge these records to authorities.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The family is adamant Nonnie would never abandon her 16-month-old daughter, Savannah, but she`s been gone more than a week now, leading them to consider the worst case scenario.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: We`re trying not to think about that, but that`s the reality.
GRACE: Won`t you help us bring this young nurse home?
Out to the lines. To Jessica in Pennsylvania. Hi, Jessica.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Hi. I was just wondering, I heard you ask about her not going to — about never being at the smoothie store. Have they checked local business surveillance cameras to see if she was anywhere else, any other stores?
GRACE: Kevin, have they? OK, I`m hearing in my…
GRACE: Yes, let me just try Jim Shires. Jim, have they checked local business surveillance?
SHIRES: Well, we have gone to the strip mall there, where the juice shop is, and talked to business owners and everything, and we are looking into that aspect of any other kind of surveillance of where she may have gone to.

Posted by Crime Library 12/1/2006
LITTLETON, Colo. (Crime Library) — It has been 12 days since 33-year-old Air Force nurse Nonnie Dotson vanished and authorities are still no closer to solving the mystery of her disappearance. While he has not been named as a suspect, Nonnie’s ex-boyfriend and the father of her child, Edward Vehle, 53, is someone everyone would like to talk to right now.
While he initially refused to speak with investigators, Vehle’s attorney contacted authorities today and made arrangements for his client to meet with them on Monday. It is not yet clear if authorities in Texas will be conducting the interview or if investigators from Colorado will be flying out. Nonetheless, if this meeting does take place, it will be interesting to see what Vehle has to say.
I spoke with a source close to the investigation yesterday afternoon, who was able to give me gave some background information on Nonnie’s relationship with Vehle. According to my source, Nonnie and Vehle met in 2004, while taking country western line-dancing lessons at a place called Midnight Rodeo and Cowboys in San Antonio. Nonnie was immediately smitten with Vehle, who was twenty years her senior and the two soon began dating.
Things went well at first, however in 2005, Nonnie discovered she was pregnant and the situation took a turn for the worse. Vehle allegedly became angry when he heard the news and demanded Nonnie get an abortion. When she refused, he broke off their relationship and denied the baby was his.
One friend of Nonnie’s, who wished to remain anonymous, said Vehle’s personality completely changed and he turned from happy-go-lucky to hostile. “He started spreading nasty rumors about Nonnie that anyone who truly knows her would know weren’t even remotely true,” said one of Nonnie’s friends. “But enough people chose to believe the lies and it made it difficult for Nonnie to feel comfortable at dance lessons. And when Nonnie would show up, Ed would leave shortly thereafter usually and come back only after she left.”
Other events have also been unfolding in the news the last few days. According to a Hollywood Park police report obtained by Rocky Mountain News, Vehle placed a 911 call on June 22, 2005, just days before the birth of the couple’s child. The following text is taken from the police report:
“Upon arrival, I contacted (Vehle) who stated that (Nonnie) was refusing to leave. After speaking with both subjects, it was determined that there had been no physical violence. Dotson had come to the residence to pick up some of her belongings, and the two subjects got into a verbal disturbance.”
The officer was able to diffuse the situation and Vehle declined to press charges. Nonnie then agreed to make arrangements with the police to have her belongings picked up at a later date.
Nonnie’s friends say the break up with Vehle devastated her. She was deeply in love with him and his decision to leave her over the pregnancy literally broke her heart. This pain is quite evident in reading a blog posting she made to her MySpace profilePosted by Denverpost 11/30/2006The father of a toddler born to missing Texas woman Nonnie Dotson has agreed to be interviewed by detectives searching for the 33-year-old.
Initially, Edward A. Vehle, 53, declined to speak to investigators. However, Jefferson County sheriff’s spokesman Jim Shires said Thursday that Vehle has now agreed to meet with Bexar County, Texas, sheriff’s detectives early next week to answer questions.
A little more than two months ago, Vehle was ordered by a Texas court to pay $1,200 a month in child support to Dotson, who disappeared during a visit to her brother’s Jefferson County home Nov. 19.
Bexar County court records show Vehle tried to contest paternity of the child, Savannah, who is now a toddler. In the documents, Vehle’s attorney indicated that the paternity suit was filed by Dotson to “harass” him.
Dotson has not been seen or heard from since leaving her brother’s house for a 10-minute walk that day. Authorities have said they have no evidence that she met with foul play and have categorized her as a missing person. Savannah remains with Dotson’s brother.
On Sept. 21, a judge determined Vehle was responsible for Savannah and ordered him to pay $900 a month in child support. In addition, the court records show Vehle was told to pay $300 a month for retroactive child support in the amount of $10,200 beginning Oct. 1.
He also owed Dotson more than $800 for medical expenses she had already incurred for Savannah, the record says.
Amy Geistweidt, the lawyer who represented Vehle in the paternity case, declined to comment through her assistant. It’s unknown whether she continues to represent Vehle.
The dispute over paternity and money is not the first between Vehle and Dotson.
Vehle called Hollywood Park, Texas, police to his home on June 22, 2005, because Dotson refused to leave, according to an incident report.
Dotson gave birth to Savannah on July 6, 2005, 14 days after the argument.
The officer who arrived spoke to the couple and found there was no physical violence, the report says. Dotson had come to pick up her belongings and the two got into an argument, the officer wrote.
Dotson agreed to leave Vehle’s house and set up a time with him to pick up her belongings in the company of a police officer, the report says.

Posted by 11/30/2006

LITTLETON, Colo. (Crime Library) — Yesterday we brought you the story of Nonnie Dotson, a 33-year-old Air Force nurse, who vanished on Nov. 19, while visiting her brother in Littleton. Yesterday afternoon I called the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department and spoke with a media spokesperson by the name of Jackie Kelly. According to Kelly, there is no indication of foul play and no reason to believe a crime has been committed. She then provided me with Nonnie’s parents’ phone number and suggested I speak with them for further information. Why she even bothered to give me that number is unknown, because when I finally got through to the mother, she told me Kelly had asked her not to speak with the media.
During an interview with Fox News’ Greta Van Susteren yesterday, Jefferson County Sheriff Ted Mink described the current state of the investigation into Nonnie’s disappearance.
“We have done exhaustive interviews and contact with individuals that may have information regarding her disappearance,” he said. “Not only here in Colorado but certainly in where she is (was) in the Air Force down at Lackland Air Force base in the San Antonio area…Right now we don’t know we’re kind of running out of places to turn and people to talk to that can give us any solid information or any solid leads as to her disappearance…We’re not ruling anything out.”
I spoke with several people who are listed as “friends” on Nonnie’s MySpace profile and I discovered she met most of them through school, work or online dating websites. According to one friend, she had dating profiles on Yahoo and also on the website I browsed through all of the ads on Yahoo placed by females from her area, however I was unable to find her profile. However I did have better luck at the single parent site and within a few minutes I found her on there. Here last login date was listed as Nov. 21. Under the heading “A little about me,” she wrote:
“I’m the girl who will put her head on your shoulder, not because she’s sleepy, but because she wants to be closer to you. I’m the girl who likes to be kissed anywhere. I’m the girl who says, ‘ok, but you owe me.’ Jokingly not because I actually want something, but because it means I get to spend more time with you…I’m the girl who never gives up hope even when I tell others I have…I’m the girl who loves the feeling when you take me by the hand! Am I that girl?”

I added her Blog from MySpace for those that don’t have accounts. Posted 8/21/2006

This is my tribute to the nice girls. To the nice girls who are overlooked, who become friends and nothing more, who spend hours fixating upon their looks and their personalities and their actions because it must be they that are doing something wrong. This is for the girls who don’t give it up on the first date, who don’t want to play mind games, who provide a comforting hug and a supportive audience for a story they’ve heard a thousand times. This is for the girls who understand that they aren’t perfect and that the guys they’re interested in aren’t either, for the girls who flirt and laugh and worry and obsess over the slightest glance, whisper, touch, because somehow they are able to keep alive that hope that maybe… maybe this time he’ll have understood. This is homage to the girls who laugh loud and often, who are comfortable in skirts and sweats and combat boots, who care more than they should for guys who don’t deserve their attention. This is for those girls who have been in the trenches, who have watched other girls time and time again fake up and make up and fuck up the guys in their lives without saying a word. This is for the girls who have been there from the beginning and have heard the trite words of advice, from “there are plenty of fish in the sea,” to “time heals all wounds.” This is to honor those girls who know that guys are just as scared as they are, who know that they deserve better, who are seeking to find it.

This is for the girls who have never been in love, but know that it’s an experience that they don’t want to miss out on. For the girls who have sought a night with friends and been greeted by a night of catcalling, rude comments and explicit invitations that they’d rather not have experienced. This is for the girls who have spent their weekends sitting on the sidelines of a beer pong tournament or a case race, or playing Florence Nightingale for a vomiting guy friend or a comatose crush, who have received a drunk phone call just before dawn from someone who doesn’t care enough to invite them over but is still willing to pass out in their bed. This is for the girls who have left sad song lyrics in their away messages, who have tried to make someone understand through a subliminally appealing profile, who have time and time again dropped their male friend hint after hint after hint only to watch him chase after the first blonde girl in a skirt. This is for the girls who have been told that they’re too good or too smart or too pretty, who have been given compliments as a way of breaking off a relationship, who have ever been told they are only wanted as a friend.

This one’s for the girls who you can take home to mom, but won’t because it’s easier to sleep with a whore than foster a relationship; this is for the girls who have been led on by words and kisses and touches, all of which were either only true for the moment, or never real to begin with.
This is for the girls who have allowed a guy into their head and heart and bed, only to discover that he’s just not ready, he’s just not over her, he’s just not looking to be tied down; this is for the girls who believe the excuses because it’s easier to believe that it’s not that they don’t want you, it’s that they don’t want anyone.
This is for the girls who have had their hearts broken and their hopes dashed by someone too cavalier to have cared in the first place; this is for the nights spent dissecting every word and syllable and inflection in his speech, for the nights when you’ve returned home alone, for the nights when you’ve seen from across the room him leaning a little too close, or standing a little too near, or talking a little too softly for the girl he’s with to be a random hookup. This is for the girls who have endured party after party in his presence, finally having realized that it wasn’t that he didn’t want a relationship: it was that he didn’t want you. I honor you for the night his dog died or his grandmother died or his little brother crashed his car and you held him, thinking that if you only comforted him just right, or said the right words, or rubbed his back in the right way then perhaps he’d realize what it was that he already had. This is for the night you realized that it would never happen, and the sunrise you saw the next morning after failing to sleep.

This is for the “I really like you, so let’s still be friends” comment after you read more into a situation than he ever intended; this is for never realizing that when you choose friends, you seldom choose those which make you cry yourself to sleep. This is for the hugs you’ve received from your female friends, for the nights they’ve reassured you that you are beautiful and intelligent and amazing and loyal and truly worthy of a great guy; this is for the despair you all felt as you sat in the aftermath of your tears, knowing that that night the only companionship you’d have was with a pillow and your teddy bear. This is for the girls who have been used and abused, who have endured what he was giving because at least he was giving something; this is for the stupidity of the nights we’ve believed that something was better than nothing, though his something was nothing we’d have ever wanted. This is for the girls who have been satisfied with too little and who have learned never to expect anything more: for the girls who don’t think that they deserve more, because they’ve been conditioned for so long to accept the scraps thrown to them by guys.

This is what I don’t understand. Men sit and question and whine that girls are only attracted to the mean guys, the guys who berate them and belittle them and don’t appreciate them and don’t want them; who use them for sex and think of little else than where their next conquest will be made. Men complain that they never meet nice girls, girls who are genuinely interested and compelling, who are intelligent and sweet and smart and beautiful; men despair that no good women want to share in their lives, that girls play mind games, that girls love to keep them hanging. Yet, men, I ask you: were you to meet one of these genuinely interested, thrillingly compelling, interesting and intelligent and sweet and beautiful and smart girls, were you to give her your number and wait for her to call… and if you were to receive a call from her the next day and she, in her truthful, loyal, intelligent and straightforward nice girl fashion, were to tell you that she finds you intriguing and attractive and interesting and worth her time and perhaps material from which she could fashion a boyfriend, would you or would you not immediately call your friends to tell them of the “stalker chick” you’d met the night prior, who called you and wore her heart on her sleeve and told the truth? And would you, or would you not, refuse to make plans with her, speak with her, see her again, and once again return to the bar or club or party scene and search once more for this “nice girl” who you just cannot seem to find? Because therein lies the truth, guys: we nice girls are everywhere. But you’re not looking for a nice girl. You’re not looking for someone genuinely interested in your intramural basketball game, or your anatomy midterm grade, or that argument you keep having with your father; you’re looking for a quick fix, a night when you can pretend to have a connection with another human being which is just as disposable as the condom you were using during it.

So don’t say you’re on the lookout for nice girls, guys, when you pass us up on every step you take. Sometimes we go undercover; sometimes we go in disguise: sometimes when that girl in the low cut shirt or the too tight miniskirt won’t answer your catcalls, sometimes you’re looking at a nice girl in whore’s clothing – – we might say we like the attention, we might blush and giggle and turn back to our friends, but we’re all thinking the same thing: “This isn’t me. Tomorrow morning, I’ll be wearing a tee shirt and flannel shorts, I’ll have slept alone and I’ll be making my hungover best friend breakfast. See through the disguise. See me.” You never do. Why? Because you only see the exterior, you only see the slutty girl who welcomes those advances. You don’t want the nice girl.. so don’t say you’re looking for a relationship: relationships take time and energy and intent, three things we’re willing to extend – – but in return, we’re looking for compassion and loyalty and
Three things you never seem willing to express. Maybe nice guys finish last, but in the race they’re running they’re chasing after the whores and the sluts and the easy-targets… the nice girls are waiting at the finish line with water and towels and a congratulatory hug (and yes, if she’s a nice girl and she likes you, the sweatiness probably won’t matter), hoping against hope that maybe you’ll realize that they’re the ones that you want at the end of that silly race.

So maybe it won’t last forever. Maybe some of those guys in that race will turn in their running shoes and make their way to the concession stand where we’re waiting; however, until that happens, we still have each other, that silly race to watch, and all the chocolate we can eat (because what’s a concession stand at a race without some chocolate?

Here for: Networking, Friends
Orientation: Straight
Hometown: Colorado
Body type: 5′ 4″ / Athletic
Ethnicity: White / Caucasian
Religion: Christian – other
Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Smoke / Drink: No / Yes
Children: Proud parent
Education: College graduate
Status: Single
Love to travel ( enjoy Europe, Asia was an experience) camping….(nothing beats a camp fire with smores), rock climbing, hiking, biking… being outdoors, love the Colorado Rockies (ok, the Alps aren’t so bad either)!! I also enjoy country dancing!
Music: Open to all sorts of music, couldn’t list the artist but I can sing along. Especially enjoy country, and updated christian music
Movies: Pretty Woman (sucker for a good fairytale), The Notebook,
Television: Haven’t owned one in years!
Books: Nicholes Sparks
Heroes: Everyone who has ever believed in me and even thoses that haven’t because you’ve all taught me how to be the person I am!

Posted by 11/29/2006

The father of missing Air Force nurse Nonnie Dotson’s daughter has retained a lawyer and refused today to talk to Texas investigators probing the woman’s disappearance.
Although Jefferson County Sheriff’s investigators on Tuesday told the Bexar County, Texas, Sheriff’s Department that its further help was not currently needed, Bexar County investigators, along with personnel from the U.S. Air Force Office of Special Investigations, today went to the home of Ed Vehle near San Antonio. Vehle, 53, is the father of Dotson’s 16-month old daughter. He never married Dotson.
While officers were outside Vehle’s Hollywood Park residence, a friend of Vehle’s pulled up. He told the five law enforcement officers that Vehle had retained a lawyer and didn’t want to speak with them.
“He’s acting on the advice of his attorney, and so it’s hard to make anything of it,” said Bexar County Sheriff’s Sgt. Mike Pesses.
“It seems to me the reasonably prudent person would want to do whatever they could do to help find the mother of his child. It does seem rather odd to me,” he said.
Pesses said his department accompanied the Air Force investigators to Vehle’s home at their request.
This development came just a few hours after the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department had put out word that they needed the public’s help in locating Vehle.
Dotson, a 33-year-old Air Force nurse, vanished Nov. 19, while visiting her brother for a few days in Littleton. She was supposed to have returned to Texas Nov. 21. But she has not been heard from in 10 days, since leaving her daughter, Savannah Marie, in her brother’s care.
Vehle was ordered by a Bexar County, Texas, judge on Sept. 21 to pay $10,000 in back child support for Savannah Marie, plus another $900 every month until she turns 18 or graduates from high school.
Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman Jacki Kelley said interviewing Vehle is the most significant task investigators have been unable to complete in trying to find a lead in Dotson’s disappearance.
Kelley would not describe Vehle as either a suspect or person of interest in the case, since investigators haven’t eliminated the possibility that Dotson might have simply chosen to go away somewhere — a possibility her friends and family dismiss outright, due to Dotson’s closeness to her daughter. Vehle, meanwhile, has shown no interest in his daughter, according to Dotson’s family.
“There are no persons of interest because there is no crime,” said Kelley. “He is a critical interview, because of his relationship to Nonnie.”
Vehle declined to talk to a reporter when he answered his phone on Sunday, and since that time, telephone messages left at his home have gone unreturned.

Texas detectives have been asked to remove themselves from the investigation into the disappearance of Nonnie Ann Dotson, before they were able to interview the father of her baby or examine her computer.
Bexar County (Texas) sheriff’s Sgt. Mike Pesses said Tuesday that his department’s investigators were looking for Edward Vehle – who fathered Dotson’s 16-month-old daughter, Savannah Marie – when Jefferson County Sheriff’s Capt. Dan Gard notified him that their help was no longer needed.
“Apparently, Capt. Gard doesn’t believe we are qualified to retrieve the computer in Ms. Dotson’s residence and do a sound forensic examination,” Pesses said. “Capt. Gard has told us not to interfere in their investigation. So we’re done.”

Dotson, a 33- year-old Air Force nurse from San Antonio, has been missing since Nov. 19, when she vanished during a visit to her brother’s home in south Jefferson County.
No family members have heard from her since, and Dotson left behind not only virtually everything she traveled here with, but also her toddler daughter. Those who know her say she was a devoted mom, unlikely to leave willingly without Savannah.
Dotson, a 1991 Overland High School graduate and former Broomfield resident, was due to return to her nursing job at Lackland AFB Nov. 21. Her military commitment expires in March.
Prior to learning his department’s help was no longer needed, Pesses said, his investigators went to the suburban San Antonio residence of Vehle, 53, hoping to find out if Vehle knew anything that could help solve Dotson’s disappearance.
“We banged on this door. Nobody there,” Pesses said.
Jacki Kelley, spokeswoman for the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office, said Gard was surprised to hear that Texas authorities believe their competency has been called into question.
“We don’t have any new leads that they can assist us with,” Kelley said. “If that should change, based on new information or new leads, we will utilize them again.”
The abilities of the Bexar County investigators, she added, “is absolutely not in question.”
Prior to abruptly exiting the case, Pesses said the Bexar County Sheriff’s Department planned to obtain Dotson’s computer to conduct a forensic investigation of its contents. But they had been unable to get a warrant.
“We have discussed the issue with our district attorney’s office and they don’t feel we have a probable cause,” Pesses said.
Because Dotson is, for now, simply an adult whose disappearance is not accompanied by obvious signs of foul play, Pesses said Dotson’s relatives couldn’t provide the permission for Texas investigators to enter her home there, “unless there’s some type of power of attorney that would give a family member that right.”
Pesses spoke with pride of his department’s computer-crimes expertise and said, “We thought, being good detectives, that maybe we should go out there and look at her computer. We understand that she was involved in Internet dating and so forth, and we thought we might be able to get something out of that that would be useful.”
Kelley said she was asked by investigators not to discuss whether they have already contacted Vehle themselves or accessed information from Dotson’s computer without Texas officials’ help.
“It would be absolutely inappropriate, in the event that Ms. Dotson is an active participant in her own disappearance, to share some of what we have done, are doing or what we will do,” Kelley said.
At the same time, Kelley emphasized that a voluntary absence by Dotson is considered no more likely by investigators than some form of foul play.

Posted by 11/27/2006

Air Force nurse Nonnie Dotson spent the night before her disappearance dancing at the Grizzly Rose and fending off two guys who were flirting with her, her brother said Sunday.
Tony Dotson said a man called him a couple days after his sister vanished to say he had danced with the talented country line dancer for much of the night Nov. 18.
The Grizzly Rose customer told Dotson’s family he helped the 33-year-old mother dodge the two men who wanted to take her to breakfast.
Nonnie Dotson returned to her brother’s Littleton home, where she was staying with her young daughter for a few days, in the wee hours Nov. 19 in the car she had borrowed from her brother.
He said she had gone out alone the previous night.
“She said it was the first time she ever closed out a bar in many, many years,” he said.
She left the house later that day after telling her brother she planned to go shopping, hang out with friends and possibly grab dinner. She also mentioned a desire to pick up a fruit smoothie.
Tony Dotson, 34, was to watch his sister’s 16-month-old daughter, Savannah, along with his own kids.
No one knows for sure whether Nonnie Dotson got a ride or walked.
“You always wonder, did someone follow her home?” Tony Dotson said.
But the man who said he danced with Nonnie Dotson mentioned something else that worries her brother. He said Nonnie Dotson opened up to him and painted a picture of a life that was not all rosy.
“As the night went on, her smile and bubbly face kind of diminished,” her brother said, recalling the man’s words.
The man got Tony Dotson’s phone number from a flier the missing woman’s family had printed and distributed at the country and western dance club and saloon.
Jim Shires, spokesman for the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department, could not verify Sunday whether the bar patron had called the agency’s tip line.
He said there were no new leads in the case.
However, investigators got search warrants signed Saturday for Web sites Dotson frequented, as well as for her financial records, Shires said.
Nonnie Dotson’s cell phone was triangulated to an area near C-470 and South Kipling Parkway. The phone has not been found despite an exhaustive search.
Search dogs picked up Dotson’s scent in that same area, but it’s not known what day the scent was left. The day before her disappearance, Dotson had gone to get her hair done near Park Meadows, her brother said.
Nonnie Dotson lives in San Antonio and works as an intensive care nurse at Lackland Air Force Base. She expects to be discharged in March.
Tony Dotson said Sunday his sister had some bad experiences with online dating services targeting single parents. And she had a rocky relationship with her daughter’s father, who lives in Texas and declined comment Sunday.
“There were some incidents in Texas where she thought she was being followed,” Dotson said. “She was going through heated custody issues.”
Meanwhile, little Savannah is recovering from a visit to an urgent-care facility, where she was treated for a severe cold and ear infection.
The toddler periodically says “Mama” and seems to be looking for a person in her uncle’s busy house to attach to, said Nonnie’s stepfather, Kevin Doyle.
After a week of waiting for news, the family is tired.
“You go through every emotion you can possibly imagine every hour, every time the phone rings,” Doyle said.
Relatives aren’t the only ones worrying. Jacqueline Johanning, 33, is Dotson’s closest friend in San Antonio. The two women work together at the base. Savannah was supposed to spend Thanksgiving with the Johanning family because Dotson was expected at work at 5 a.m.
“Nonnie was more like a sister to me than a friend,” Johanning said. “I have come to the conclusion in my heart and in my mind that she’s dead. I’ve felt that since Thanksgiving Day.”
She said Dotson would never have voluntarily left her daughter, whom she described as her “lifeline.” She wanted to be a good example for Savannah.
She described her friend as “very sincere.”
“If she believed in something, she would argue to the hilt about it,” she said. “I think that’s why I liked her, because she had strong character.”
Johanning and her husband are “very frustrated” by the lack of leads: “Our hands are tied. We feel very helpless. I don’t know if we’ll ever find her. I don’t know if I’m ever going to get to see Savannah.”

Posted by 11/26/2006

Police were still without clues Saturday in the disappearance of 33-year-old Nonnie Dotson, an Air Force nurse who was last seen six days ago near her brother’s home in Littleton.
Dotson – an intensive care nurse – told her family she was going to a neighborhood smoothie shop but hasn’t been seen since. She left behind her 16-month-old daughter, Savannah.
“I just can’t think of any situation where Nonnie would leave her daughter, at least not willingly,” her stepfather, Kevin Doyle, said Saturday.
Dotson’s cell phone and purse also are missing. The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office and the Air Force special investigation unit are investigating her disappearance. Meanwhile, Savannah was treated at a hospital Friday for a severe cold but was home Saturday.
Dotson was due to return to duty last Wednesday at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas, Doyle said. She arrived in Colorado Nov. 16 to visit her brother, Tony Dotson, and his wife.
The Sheriff’s Office has a hotline number for information about Dotson’s disappearance: 303-271-5612. “Someone, somewhere has seen her, and hopefully they will call in,” Doyle said .